- Cook potatoes with shell in salt water. Rinse with cold water, peel and cut into slices.
- Thoroughly wash eggplant and cut into slices, salt both sides thoroughly and let it rest for 20 minutes, until the bitter substances are sweated out. Then, pat dry with a paper kitchen towel.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the eggplant slices from both sides until golden brown. Lay on a paper towel and allow excess fat to drain.
- Let soya granules soak in hot vegetable stock for 15-20 minutes. Put granules in a sieve to drain and easily express the absorbed fluid. Safe some stock and set aside (approximately 100 ml of it).
- Peel the onion and dice very finely, fry in a pan with vegetable oil.
- Add soy granules, mix in chili powder, ground black pepper and salt. Fry along with the onions until crispy. Add very finely chopped garlic, oregano and canned tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Melt margarine in a saucepan and sauté the flour in it. Add stock and soy drink while vigorous stirring and simmer for 5 minutes. Coarsely crush tofu in a plate with a fork and lift into the sauce.
- Grease a baking dish with vegetable oil. Add a bottom layer of the potato slices, cover with canned tomatoes. Add roasted eggplant and tomato slices like roof tiles, and finally pass the tofu sauce on it. Spread grated vegan cheese on the surface and season with freshly ground pepper.
Bake moussaka 40-50 minutes at 180 °C in a preheated oven.
Our Tip: Smoked salt is a fine seasoning to help the Greek Moussaka to enable more flavours.
A recipe by Sophie Mathisz
Ingredients (for six people):
- 800 g potatoes, waxy
- 1 large eggplant
- vegetable oil
- 4-5 tomatoes, sliced
- 200g soya granules
- 1 l vegetable stock
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 stems oregano, finely chopped
- 800g tomatoes, peeled (2 cans 400g)
- 60g vegetable margarine
- 2 heaped tablespoons flour
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 300ml soy drink
- 400g soft tofu
- 150g vegan cheese, grated
- black pepper, freshly ground