- For the pita bread-quiche dough crumble fresh yeast into a small cup, add sugar and stir it with 1-2 tsp of lukewarm oat drink until smooth. Cover the cup with a cloth and let the yeast rise in a warm place for 10 min.
- Mix wheat flour, cornmeal and salt thoroughly in a mixing bowl. Afterwards mix in olive oil, the yeast and lukewarm water, then knead all ingredients with the mixer (dough hook) into a homogeneous dough. Now knead it again with your hands and form it into a ball, cover it with a cloth and let it rest for another 20 min.
- For the chili put soy granulate in a bowl, baste it with hot vegetable broth and let it soak for 10 min. Afterwards pour the soy granulate through a sieve, let it cool down and press out the surplus liquid with your hands. Heat some plant oil in a pan and roast minced meat (made from soy) in it for a short time. Mix in bell pepper or tomato paste as well as cayenne pepper and sear it together for another 5-7 min., till roast aromas are building.
- Peel and dice onions, carrots and celeriac very finely. Remove the seeds from the bell pepper and dice it very finely. Cut chilli pepper lengthwise, remove the seeds carefully and cut the chili pepper into very fine rings or cubes. Heat some plant oil in a big pot and roast the onions in it. Add the potato and celery cubes and roast for 5 min. Then add the bell pepper cubes and roast the vegetables together for another 5 min. Then add canned tomatoes (chopped), kidney beans, maize and chili bits as well as the prepared minced meat (made of soy) from the pan to the vegetables in the pot and cook it with closed lid at middle heat for 8 min. At the end mix in alternative to nut nougat cream and fresh Oregano leaves and add salt to taste.
- For the polenta boil oat drink with the vegetable broth, regulate the heat on a lower level and gradually add polenta-maize semolina whilst stirring. Keep on stirring slowly for further 2 min., take the pot from the stove and leave the polenta to soak for about 10 min., thereby stir occasionally.
- Brush the quiche-form with some plant oil. Roll the pita dough on a floured work surface to a round shape at the same size as the form (plus ca. 3cm for the rim). Dust the surface again with some flour and wrap the dough loosely around the rolling pin – so you can put it easily and custom-fit into the quiche-form. Push the dough gently with your fingers into the form and press on the rim.
- Stir the cooled polenta in the chili and spread the filling on the dough in the quiche-form. Wash and halve cherry tomatoes, then spread on the surface. Bake the quiche Mexican-style at 190°C in the preheated oven for about 35-40 min.
Our Tip: For an even more Mediterranean flavor you could use e.g. our Organic Tofu Tomato-Olive!
Portion: 4-6 People
Recipe: Sophie Mathisz / Photograph: Marcus Maly
Pita bread-quiche dough:
- ¼ Cube of fresh yeast (ca. 10 g)
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Oat drink
- 150 g Wheat flour
- 100 g Cornmeal
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 130 ml Water, lukewarm
- 150 g Soy granulate
- 700 ml Vegetable broth
- Some plant oil, for roasting
- 4 tbsp Bell pepper or tomato paste
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 100 g Celeriac
- ½ Bell pepper red
- ½ Bell pepper green
- 1 Chilli pepper
- Canned tomatoes, chopped (á ca. 400 g)
- Canned kidney beans (á ca. 250 g)
- Canned maize (á ca. 250 g)
- 1 tbsp vegan alternative to nut nougat cream
- A few cherry tomatoes as topping
- 300 ml Oat drink
- 300 ml Vegetable broth
- 130 g Polenta (maize semolina)