- Remove outer leaves from the cabbage. Cut cabbage into quarters and cut out the stalk, cut into small cubes or strips.
- Peel the onion and chop finely. Melt onion lard meltin a large saucepan melt over medium heat, add sugar and let caramelise. Fry onions for a few minutes until glassy. Add the sliced cabbage and cook in closed pot for 5-10 minutes.
- Whisk salt, raspberry vinegar, oil, ground cloves, a little freshly ground pepper and mix with the cabbage. Pour in unfiltered apple juice and add bay leaves, stir briefly and continue to cook for about 40 minutes in a closed saucepan over medium heat.
- Peel pears shortly before the end of cooking and grate pulp finely. Mix grated pears thoroughly with the cabbage and simmer for 10-20 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
- Cut orange in half and squeeze the juice from one half. Melt Alsan over medium heat in a pan, add sugar and let caramelise while slightly stirring. Add pre-cooked chestnuts to the pan and let caramelise briefly. Deglaze with freshly squeezed orange juice and simmer for about 5 minutes while stirring until the caramel and liquid have connected.
- Pour in vegetable stock and cream and simmer over low heat until a reduced, creamy sauce is achieved. Season with Crema di Balsamico and a pinch of salt.
- Fry the vegan duck fillets in a little vegetable fat fry until crispy and golden brown.Serve fillets with red cabbage-pears and glazed chestnuts. Vegan potato mash fits perfectly as side dish!
Our tip: Serve with non-alcoholic raspberry-apple-champagne!
A recipe from Sophie Mathisz
Ingredients (for four people):
- 1 red cabbage
- 1 onion, large
- 50g onion lard
- 50g sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 5 tablespoons oil
- ¼ teaspoon cloves, ground
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 700ml apple juice, unfiltered
- 3-4 bay leaves, dried
- 4-5 pears
- ½ orange, juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons Alsan
- 25g sugar
- 200g chestnuts, peeled and pre-cooked
- 200ml vegetable stock, vigorously
- 200ml vegetable cream, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon Crema di Balsamico
- pinch of salt
- 400g vegan duck fillets